Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One Last Summer Dress - and a Peek at Fall Sewing Ideas

Even though autumn officially begins in a little over a week, I felt I had to finish one last summery dress. I got the pattern and fabric on the cheap in late August and I didn't want to let it sit there gathering dust all winter. I had seen the 1966 pattern way back in February at A Dress a Day.


Then one in my size popped up on eBay and I snatched it up. Weeks later some very thin blue gingham fabric appeared on eBay as well, and I knew it would be perfect for making view B with the yoke set on the bias. I lined it with the lightest white polyester lining I could find (I wanted cotton but couldn't find anything that wasn't heavier than the gingham).


I've never actually made a dress that was fully lined. I thought I'd do it the "easy" way and just essentially make two dresses and then sew one to the inside of the other so that I wouldn't have to cut out and sew any facing. Wrong. It didn't lay right and the white lining kept peeking up over the gingham. So I ripped out some seams (which I hate doing) and cut out the facing pieces and followed the directions (mostly). I think it turned out great. Good fit, very lightweight (which is perfect for someone who runs hot like I do), and not difficult to sew (once I followed the directions). I'll probably still wear a slip with it because even with the lining it is really thin.

Now that that's out of the way, we'll be moving on to some fall sewing. I have a fantastic big green and brown plaid (for a dress?), some brown thin wale corduroy that will become a jacket, some pinstriped blue suiting, some lovely textured deep teal synthetic, a brown silk with white polkadots, and a couple pieces of dark navy fabric of some sort that I got from my grandmother's stash and the Salvation Army that are destined to be a skirt and a pair of pants. I may also get brave and use the cream colored polyester fabric I found at the Salvation Army, even though it's obviously the older kind of polyester that is the stuff of jokes about the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Here are a few patterns I'm thinking about for fall. Yes, I am aware that some of them are from the '70s and have the potential to be hideous, but I also think they have potential to look great with the right fabric (keeping in mind that my hair and makeup would not be the least '70s-ish).

Love this 1930s coat. Very chic.


Now, if you're going to have 3/4 length sleeves, do you really also need those medium length gloves? I think not.

This is the pattern I got for $1 at the antique market this past weekend. It may look summery, but I think making it in a heavier fabric, like a houndstooth or tweed woven, with bigger buttons could be nice.


I'm thinking the skirt from view B and jacket from view A.


What can I say? I love this Vogue pattern. And I love the colors the artist chose for the drawings. And I love the hats. I love everything, everything, everything about this. I will be making all of these pieces eventually, probably multiple times.


You might be thinking, "she can't be serious about this one," but you'd be wrong. I am serious. Ignore the creepy made-up woman in the bright white polyester maxi on the right. Picture view 2 in chocolate brown silk with white polkadots. Do you see it? It will be awesome, I'm sure of it.


So there's a sneak peek of what to expect in the coming colder months. We'll see how much I get done!

Anonymous –   – (September 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM)  

I swear I made some of these myself in the mid-70s! Erin, would you be interested in a women's clergy shirt project? I am wondering if any of these new dry, wicking fabrics could make up into a janie or shirt (for women who run hot, as you put it). I can't sew worth beans, but I have some ideas ...

Erin  – (September 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM)  

Kit, if you have a pattern and fabric, I'm sure I could whip something up for you!

Clara  – (September 15, 2010 at 7:16 PM)  

Oh, I LOVE that gingham dress you made, it is gorgeous!

And I really like your choice on Butterick 4378. I've been thinking of making a jacket very similar to that for years - but have never been brave enough (to wear it after I make it)!! LOL.

Anonymous –   – (September 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM)  

These are fantastic patterns. I love the retro looks! They are a more simple style too, easy to make.

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion  – (September 16, 2010 at 5:44 AM)  

Cute dress! Your choice of gingham is perfect for summer! Did the lining still pop out even after understitching the neckline and armholes? Strange. I would recommend cotton batiste for a lightweight lining for summer dresses, but be sure to preshrink it!

Erin  – (September 16, 2010 at 7:19 AM)  

Yes, I had understiched the lining. And, in an act of desperation/stupidity I even top-stitched the neckline! (Which made even more stitching to rip out later.) I guess these fabrics just don't play nice together. :) I will look for cotton batiste next time. Thanks for the tip!

Post a Comment