The Home Improvement Itch
>> Wednesday, February 9, 2011 –
home
It has struck. The cleaning/redecorating/DIY project bug has bit me, as it usually does around this time of year. My mind is starting to swim with all the projects I want to get done in the coming year. Here's my short list.
~ Finish bed quilt
~ Repaint bedroom to match new quilt
~ Roman shades in the dining room
~ Tiered garden beds in the back yard
~ New living room couch and rug
~ New window treatment in bedroom
~ Repaint front porch
I also want to take everything out of my kitchen cupboards and drawers and clean every surface (Mom, I know you're itching to come over and help me with this—hint, hint) and reorganize. And our basement needs some serious purging, cleaning, and reorganizing. I wish I could take a month off and do all of this. But barring that, I can take it one project at a time as schedule and budget allow. And when I can't start a new big project, I can direct all that energy into cleaning my existing rooms and things.
I am encouraged by the extensive list of home improvements we have made since we moved into our house a little over five years ago. In that small space of time, we have managed the following:
~ Finish bed quilt
~ Repaint bedroom to match new quilt
~ Roman shades in the dining room
~ Tiered garden beds in the back yard
~ New living room couch and rug
~ New window treatment in bedroom
~ Repaint front porch
The longer list includes, among other things, painting all the woodwork in the house, possibly refinishing the front door, getting new window screens custom made, refinishing the dining room table (which our cat ruined practically the first night we had her back in 2003 by knocking over a vase at night and allowing the water to sit there until morning), a new garage, and built-in shelves on the upstairs landing and in our bedroom around the window.
- Painted all walls and ceilings (every single room)
- Redid family room ceiling and installed new light fixtures
- Built workshop area
- Turned family room doorway into media shelving
- Added light to living rm. fan
- Added lawn in back yard
- New mailbox
- Completely renovated main floor bathroom
- Carpet runner on stairs
- Added screens to roof vents
- New roof
- New gutters
- Made a rain barrel
- Custom window treatments in office and Calvin's room
- Built pantry shelves in basement
- New light fixtures in office and sunroom
- New stove
- Various and sundry landscaping improvements (ongoing)
- Recovered the dining room chairs
Not bad for five years, if you ask me. So I think in the next five we can manage a number of smaller projects. And I'm feeling energized and pretty jazzed at the moment (it might have something to do with my morning workout, the bright sunshine, and the coffee I've just consumed) and raring to go. Who cares if there is a foot of snow on the ground? It's never too early to begin spring cleaning! After all, the dog started to shed her winter coat the day of the big blizzard. She must know something we don't.
Well, maybe not.

