Up Close and Personal Answer
>> Thursday, August 11, 2011 –
photography,
Up Close and Personal
Between comments here and on Facebook, you guessed an avocado, a fish, a dragonfly, and the vague "something of the biological nature" (very safe bet, Anna). :)
Is is of a biological nature and it is an insect, just not yet in it's final form.
It is a caterpillar, a black swallowtail, if I'm not mistaken. (Let me know if I am mistaken, Dave.)
I found this handsome guy on a carrot plant in my garden.
He made my day.
I concur with this being a Black Swallowtail caterpillar. Where did you photograph this?
The last couple of weeks there have been a ton of Eastern Tiger Swallowtails (the big yellow ones like you have in your shadowbox) out at Fenner. This time of year they are so intent on getting nectar that they do not seem too bothered by people getting up close to them.
Duh, I just read your post closer and realized you found this in your garden. You should put it in a jar and raise watch it change into a butterfly. Those would be cool photos.