Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lenten Rose


With spring sprung so early, we have many flowers already blooming. One of the most beautiful, yet least noticed because their heads are bowed as in prayer, are the Hellebore, or Lenten Rose.


Today I finished reading Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress, which I chose to read during Lent as I had never actually read it before.


After I turned off my Kindle, I took a short walk outside to snap some pictures of scilla, daffodils, and the just-emerging rhubarb and onions. Most of the perennial flowers are pushing up their first leaves. Chives are already ready to be harvested and will grace our dinner of poached eggs and toast tonight.


But far and away the most lovely sight were the Lenten Roses, a delicate reminder of this precious gift of an early spring. What is so appropriate is that to enjoy these flowers, you really have to get on your knees and bow down low to the ground. Which, after all, is just the position we should be in during Lent.

Fashionista  – (March 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM)  

Hello Erin, I have been lurking around your blog for a while, I enjoy your writing and am looking forward to your novel being published. I was inspried to comment as my last name is Lenton (pronounced Len-ten in the Aust accent) so this time of year we are often asked the history of our name. Although as I only married the name I still don't see it as "mine" (even though I have had it for more than half my life!). Your post on the northern hemisphere Lenten season is lovely, so very different to ours where it is autumn. Have a lovely day.

Erin  – (March 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM)  

Thanks for reading! (And commenting.) :)

Post a Comment