The Art of Alphonse Mucha
>> Monday, January 10, 2011 –
art,
decorating,
home
My 2011 calendar features the art of Alphonse Mucha, a Moravian (then part of Austria, present day Czech Republic) artist who painted in the Art Nouveau style in the late 19th and early 20th century. Here is the panel for January.
![]() |
| La Poesie (Poetry), 1898 |
Mucha did a lot of commercial work on commission, including theatre posters (most famously those starring the lovely actress Sarah Bernhardt); advertisements for biscuits, laundry detergent, perfume, champagne, chocolate, and other products; and . . . calendars!
Last year I bought a book called Alphonse Mucha Masterworks that is overflowing with his beautiful artwork and some history and stories behind his commissions. Mucha died in July 1939 after being captured by the Gestapo and coming down with pneumonia during interrogation. He was released but never fully recovered. He died when my house was being built.
At the end of 2011 I plan to keep some of the calendar prints and use them in the decor of my sunroom, a little tribute to an iconic artist who apparently shared my love of flowers and plants and who portrayed beautiful, sensual women (many of whom would today be considered overweight!) in gentle and sometimes powerful ways.
I encourage you to do a Google image search for "Alphonse Mucha" and feast your eyes on his lovely work.


I just checked out his work. "The Flowers Series" and "Girl with Loose Hair and Tulips" are just beautiful.