Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Great-Grandmother Elizabeth's Yo-Yo Coverlet

Elizabeth Smith was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1884, the third of eight children. Her father Samuel was born in Ontario and had been left an orphan at age two and was raised by a woman named Mrs. Wilson while his sister was shipped out west to another family and was lost track of in later years. Samuel eventually became a metal pattern maker (one of the first Henry Ford had) and moved around as his job demanded. Thus his children were born in various Midwestern cities, including Bay City, Michigan (where I grew up); Cleveland, Ohio; and Windsor, Ontario.

Elizabeth married Robert Andrew Wiggins in 1906 and among their children was Norval Wiggins, my mother's father, and Robert Linwood (Linny), my mother's uncle and, after his brother Norval's death, my mother's stepfather.

Elizabeth with her daughter Gertrude, son Linny (in the grass), and husband Bob
 I don't know much about Elizabeth. I have two heirlooms that belonged to her, once of which is this pretty spectacular queen-sized yo-yo coverlet.


My estimate puts this coverlet being constructed of probably in excess of 3,000 yo-yos. The patterned yo-yos were made from fabric scraps from the house dresses Elizabeth had made herself in the 1920s and 1930s (judging by the fabrics).

Elizabeth (far right) with a sister and perhaps a friend or relative (the tall one) in the 1920s
Elizabeth died in Detroit 1939 at age 55, just four years after her arrival in the US (she lived most of her life in Windsor, Ontario). I imagine that this quilt was completed sometime in the mid to late 1930s.


My mother passed this quilt on to me when I moved into our house, thinking that I might be able to display it and in any case that I would like to be its caretaker since I actually quilt. Unfortunately, 1930s colors don't match my color scheme and I'm pretty sure most men think yo-yo coverlets are hideous and too "country" looking, so I don't think Zach would be super thrilled to have it out (and I'm sure my Dad didn't care for it either). Still, I store it and I did spend a fairly significant bit of time repairing it once it was in my possession. Many of the yo-yos had detached from their neighbors. I searched for offenders and tacked them back together. Incredibly, there is only one yo-yo that is completely damaged.


Really, I'm not sure how practical yo-yo coverlets are. They aren't really used for warmth because they have no batting and are filled with holes. And they tend to be delicate because they are all hand-sewn. But they are impressive.


I don't know if Elizabeth produced any other quilts or blankets in her lifetime, but my understanding is that she was an excellent seamstress. Judging by the number of fabrics used in this coverlet, and if they truly did come from her leftovers after sewing house dresses, I have some catching up to do!

Elizabeth (second from right) with all of her living sisters in the 1930s. I want their hats.

Clara  – (January 19, 2011 at 12:58 AM)  

Wow, it's beautiful! What a treasure! Whenever I see something like that it makes me wonder what the seamstress thought about while she made it, what occasion or reason it was made for, and a dozen other questions!! :)

Val  – (January 20, 2011 at 8:39 AM)  

I would like their hats too!

I wonder if yo-yo quilts were perhaps traditional summer quilts? That would be the perfect season to use one, in my mind, as one doesn't really need the warmth then, and could worry instead only about style.

Anonymous –   – (January 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM)  

It amazes me that you know more about my family history than I do. So glad you have a passion for it, and that you take such an interest in your heritage. You'll have to do a piece on grandma Helen someday about her dancing. I have the perfect picture you can use; actually you may already have a copy of it! mom

Post a Comment