Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My First Knit Shirt

Sewing Myth #82—Busted. Knits are not actually the devil's preferred fabric.

I am really happy with how my first knit sewing project turned out and I didn't find that sewing with a knit fabric drove me to the edge of insanity. It wasn't hard, just different. It required slightly different handling, but it is nothing to be afraid of. So if you're avoiding knits because you've heard they're too much trouble, I say give them a try. Buy good quality fabric and use a pattern designed for knits and I'm sure it will go fairly smoothly. You just have to slow down and read the directions and not pull too much on them.

And frankly some things are actually easier. I'll tell you, putting in the sleeves of a knit shirt is easy compared to set-in sleeves in a non-knit fabric. And there's no facing. And no closures. It's pretty darn cheap. And expanding to knits means more fabric patterns to choose from.

So, fellow seamstresses, maybe it's time to branch out a bit.

Coming up soon, I'll be doing this shirt pattern again in a very different, more open knit in super-springy green. I'll lengthen the pattern a wee bit and I may do 3/4 sleeves. We'll see.

Anonymous –   – (January 25, 2011 at 6:23 AM)  

Turned out beautiful! It's not even the end of January and you've got one piece under your belt --> JEALOUS! Can't wait to see the super-springy green version. BTW, I like your curly locks...are you naturally curly-wavy? I ask because I am (and I often straighten but have started wearing my hair more natural over the past few years).

Erin  – (January 25, 2011 at 8:54 AM)  

My hair does have a natural wave, but half the time I let it go it just looks unkempt. When I'm lucky it looks cute, when I'm unlucky it looks like I just rolled out of bed.

Val  – (January 25, 2011 at 8:55 AM)  

Very cute! What happened to no clothing sewing until Easter, though? :)

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion  – (January 25, 2011 at 9:10 AM)  

I love that print. Did you use a serger or regular sewing machine for the seams?

Erin  – (January 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM)  

Val, I forgot about that. I guess I meant no dresses, skirts, or pants because my waistline wil hopefully be getting smaller. But knits are stretchy and my shirt size won't change a ton.

As for the seams, I don't have a serger, so I stay-stitched and zig-zagged and rolled the hem and straight-stitched. A serger would probably have been easier, but until my mom upgrades and I get hers, I don't believe one of those is in my near future. :)

Erin  – (January 25, 2011 at 3:49 PM)  

Thanks, Liz! Another benefit of knit fabric is taht it expands, so that when I make and eat Meme's Mandarin Orange Cake I won't feel too constricted. :)

Anonymous –   – (January 26, 2011 at 2:07 AM)  

That's a lovely top! It looks great on you. I'm tackling knits this year - eep!

Anonymous –   – (January 26, 2011 at 10:45 PM)  

Cute print and the color is great on you. I LOVE your hair in this pic; very becoming! Mom

Liz  – (January 27, 2011 at 8:25 AM)  

It does look great on you! Where do you get your knits? I've not seen something that nice at Joann's.

Erin  – (January 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM)  

This one came from the Fabric Gallery in Williamston.

Post a Comment