Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

September Wildflowers


While the trees are beginning to think about settling down and most wildflowers have already gone to seed, there are still some showstoppers out there, providing late-season nector for pollinating insects. Here are a few I saw at Lake Louise last weekend.

Many varieties of aster bloom in the fall.

Asters and goldenrod.

It appears that lichen (whch is what this looks like to me) has some form of bloom or way of spreading spores or something. I'll have to do a little research about this. These tiny "flowers" were only about 1 cm tall.

Cardinal flower, like the bird, is named after the robes/hats of Catholic Cardinals.

Fringed Gentian is a true biennial (lives two years, blooming and reproducing only in its second year) and it relies on a mycorrhizal relationship to survive (much like lady slippers) so it should NEVER, EVER, EVER be picked or transplanted. Please!

Close-up of goldenrod (part of the aster family) with a soldier beetle feeding on nectar.

I can't find this in my Michigan wildflower book, but this tiny flower looks a lot like larkspur (bloom and leaves) so I'm guessing it may be in that family.


Another one I can't identify. Very, very small. Maybe the size of a dime. Anyone know what it is?

What is your favorite autumn flower, wild or domestic?

JB  – (September 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM)  

Nice! I did not see those tiny orange spores. So cool!

PepperReed  – (January 14, 2012 at 5:02 PM)  

I think the blue one is a type of Lobelia (maybe Spiked?) and I think the pink one is Purple Gerardia.

Post a Comment