Forties for Fall
>> Friday, September 16, 2011 –
sewing
On Labor Day the weather for many of us abruptly changed from summer to autumn. I was thrilled. And then I was sewing.
I've been working on this outfit and have the skirt and blouse done (but you won't see anything until the coat is finished).
But before I could pin the pattern pieces on the fabric for the coat, I found myself using up a bunch of pins and space to start this 1940s pattern.
This was one of the first patterns my eyes gravitated toward when I opened up my goody box and I've been waiting for the right fabric for the view 1 dress. I found some weightier cotton with a bit of stretch, a nice sheen, and a beautiful drape in the red tag sale area at Jo-Ann's about the time I was realizing I really needed more solids in my stash.
It came together rather easily, though I waffled back and forth about the topstitching. On the one hand, I like that detail. On the other, I didn't know if I wanted it to stand out that much. Ultimately I decided to do it in a tone of green that would allow it to add distinction rather than distraction.
I'm pretty happy with the result.



