Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wonderful Wool

I'm a big fan of natural fibers. I love cotton, silk, linen, and wool. They seem pure and tactile and simple. I'm not a purist. I don't shun polyester as the fabric in which Satan probably arrays himself. I like rayon and spandex knits that don't wrinkle. But there is something about cotton, silk, linen, and wool that makes me feel happy and homey and sometimes a bit chic.

Today I entered Jo-Ann's armed with a 50% off coupon and headed straight for the most beautiful bright, deep, jewel-toned blue wool ever. At $25 a yard, it had better be special, eh? I had been eyeing it for weeks, waiting for it to go on sale and for my fun money fund to be flush. These things never happened at the same time (actually, I don't think it ever went on sale). I'm glad I got it when I did as there was only about 3 continuous yards on the bolt along with a 1 yard piece. I bought myself two yards at 1/2 off and intend to make this skirt . . .


. . . and a matching hat (probably a beret). From there I think I'll look for a nice fabric to make the short-sleeved top and then I'll think about the jacket. Perhaps in a small plaid? I just love the colors on the pattern envelope and am totally copying them. At the moment, though, I have two jackets cut out (one from about 4 years ago) that I really need to finish up before tackling anything else, but I just had to get that fabric when I had the coupon.

The odd thing is that as much as I love the look, weight, and feel of wool, I cannot stand wearing it without it being completely lined. I'm not sure if I have a mild allergy to it or what, but I can't wear a wool sweater if the neckline or cuffs touch my bare skin. But this is really nice, really soft, really fine fabric that I think I could use as a pillowcase. I do think I can get away with a lined skirt. Hoping to get to it by December.

Val  – (October 21, 2010 at 8:19 AM)  

I wouldn't bother to line the skirt, just be sure to wear it with a nice slip and either pantyhose or tights. That always works for me!

Erin  – (October 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM)  

Ah, yes! Why hadn't I thought of that?!

Clara  – (October 22, 2010 at 6:00 AM)  

LOL, Val - good suggestion!
The fabric sounds beautiful, Erin, I look forward to seeing it made up! :)

Post a Comment