Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You Can't Beat the View

The lovely thing about taking a bike ride around the perimeter of an island is that you always have a fantastic view of the water. The main road around the island is actually a state highway (M-185) that even changes names a few times within its short 8-mile circuit (Main St., Huron St., and Lake Shore Rd.)

We almost always go counterclockwise around Mackinac Island (not sure why) keeping the water on our right. The ride is usually pretty easy until you make that turn that puts you on the north point of the island and suddenly the full force of the west wind smacks you in the face.

Again, I'm going to let the pictures speak for themselves. There is truly nowhere I would rather take a bike ride than here.










Within the past five years, a new little hobby has popped up for either islanders or visitors or both: rock stacking (I'm sure that is not the technically correct name for it, but it is essentially what's happening). Only within recent years have I begun to notice rock stacks, though if you were into rock stacking, this would be the place to do it since the beaches are all stony ones. Not sure what I mean? Here are just a couple of the more interesting shots, but there are literally dozens if not a hundred or more of these, large and small, all along the shore.



After our ride we had dinner at Seabiscuit, one of our favorite restaurants on the island. We grabbed coffee at the little coffee shop in the lobby of the Inn at Mackinac and then headed back up to Mission point for the evening.

Clara  – (October 6, 2010 at 5:43 PM)  

What a beautiful place! Lovely photos, Erin - I'm really enjoying my tour of the island here on your blog!! :)

Post a Comment