Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

5 Personal Goals for 2011

Some people think it's silly to make New Year's resolutions because they almost never take. I for one do think it's worth looking in the mirror once in awhile and assessing what you see. I'm not talking just about physically (though in my case I do see some room for improvement) but about the intangible things in your life. Are you a procrastinator? Are you a slob? Are you too often unintentional about life? I can answer yes to all of these questions. So, shall I just drift through the next year without working on those personal qualities about myself that annoy me? Or should I try to improve?

Well, I'm not making any New Year's resolutions for 2011, but I am making a few goals for the next year. No, goals and resolutions are not the same thing. I can resolve to stop procrastinating, or I can make one concrete goal to finish something that has been languishing undone because of my procrastination. I can resolve to be healthier, or I can make one concrete goal about exercise.

See the difference? And while I'm at it, I'm going to throw in a couple goals that have nothing to do with self-improvement but that I will just enjoy because of the challenge and the reward. So here are my top five goals for 2011, in no particular order.

1. Finish that quilt! Yes, I really must finish quilting my Robbing Peter to Pay Paul quilt by the time it's warm enough to paint the bedroom and have the windows open. Seriously. I mean, I started it about this time last year.

2. Draft an original dress pattern. I have a great book I got for Christmas that shows how to draft original patterns. My goal is to do so (and make the dress) by the end of the year. But before I can do that I need to . . .

3. Lose 25 pounds. I did it last year from January to April, so I think I can get rid of the next 25 by Easter. Part of my exercise strategy will be to . . .

4. Do C25k. Go from Couch Potato to 5k runner in 9 weeks. I have the running plan. I just have to execute it!

5. Create and tend my new kitchen garden. The areas are mostly cleared out. Just need lumber, seeds, and thawed ground. So I'm thinking I can start working on the hardscaping in March if it's not too cold and snowy. (By that time I should be able to run a 5k too!)

That's enough for yearly goals for now. Of course there are many other things I intend to do during the year (more clothes sewing, making Roman shades for the dining room, start making my own fresh bread, etc.), but these are my priorities as far as health, home, and crafting.

What are you going to do in 2011?

Clara  – (December 29, 2010 at 4:52 PM)  

I should make a goals list too - for similar things, even. I need to finish some craft projects. I'd also like to make my own pattern - have been 'dreaming' about this for probably 12 months... Maybe I should get in and DO it?!? And I need to put an exercise program in place - only not to lose weight, but to just be fitter, because I feel like a horrible slob!!!

Anonymous –   – (December 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM)  

All wonderful goals Erin. It's a great feeling to have ideas and to be motivated going into a new year. I, too, have been working on a list over the last few days. Even in my heavily pregnant and exhausted state, I finished it today and will be posting mine shortly, also. :)

Mark  – (December 29, 2010 at 8:43 PM)  

I think I need to make a goal to spend less time online and more time taming my "piling" system. A good word today, Erin.

And, oh, I know you meant "paint" the bedroom, but I'd love to see your plan for giving it a pain. =:D

Post a Comment