Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ten Years Ago . . .


Ten years ago I married my best friend. We had been dating since I was 15, engaged since I was 18, and just a few days before I turned 21, we were married at Messiah Lutheran Church in Bay City, Michigan, by my pastor, Rev. Andreas Teich, and his pastor, Rev. Ed Pedley. The ceremony was attended by immediate family, aunts and uncles, a few close cousins, and friends. It was small and understated. It was during a blizzard. But though the snow flew outside, and though some of the guests were probably cursing us for getting married between Christmas and New Year's, we were very happy to make our vows before God to love, cherish, and care for each other.

I have heard many people say that marriage is hard work, that it takes a conscious effort to make it last. In my own experience thus far, I have not found that to be true. Though we may occasionally disagree or get on each other's nerves now and again, I have never had to work at loving my husband. I married my best friend and he remains my best friend. I am sure that the next ten years will bring with them new challenges as we raise our son, but with our mutual faith as our strong foundation and our loving acts toward one another second nature, I believe that the next ten years will be just as good as the last ten.

A couple of my close friends got married in 2010. Andrew and Tina, I wish you and your spouses, Onyi and Ben, the kind of happiness and companionship Zach and I have had. It hasn't been hard work. It has been pure joy.

And this, folks, is what pure joy looks like (photo editing credit goes to my creatively twisted husband).

Anonymous –   – (December 30, 2010 at 10:42 AM)  

Bravo! Happy Anniversary. Never a doubt it could be anything else with you two. Everyone should be as lucky as you. Mom

Dianna  – (December 30, 2010 at 7:46 PM)  

Happy anniversary to you! It's a great day to be married. :) We're celebrating our sixth today.

Clara  – (December 31, 2010 at 4:13 AM)  

Happy Anniversary! You guys sound so happy - may God bless you will many more happy years together! :)

Wanting What I Have  – (January 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM)  

Happy tenth anniversary! How wonderful to have had such a great first ten years! I love checking out your wedding pic! No wonder he put a ring on your finger before you went off to University! You are beautiful!

Post a Comment