March
Allow me to point out that if you are reading this you have survived another February. This may not seem like a big deal to those of you in the south who are already planting your vegetable gardens, but to those of us still under several inches of snow, this is a momentous occasion. Last night I turned my calendar to reveal this lovely lady.
She's happy it's March, too.
Outside red squirrels scamper across the crusted snow and every day I hear birdsong heralding warmer weather. Today it is supposed to get to 40 degrees. The sun is shining stronger and sticking around for longer each day. This is the time to keep your birdfeeders filled and watch for interesting birds passing through on their migrations. It is also the time songbirds are beginning to next, so if you want to put out birdhouses or nesting material, now is the time.
In a week Lent will begin. I love having a late Easter (April 24th this year) because it's more likely to be nice weather. But having Lent begin in March rather than February is a bit difficult. Lent in February feels quite natural. We're all depressed anyway. But Lent beginning in March will take more of a concerted effort, I think.
Meanwhile, we're here making the best of lingering winter, looking forward to rain puddles, flowers, and getting back into the sandbox. Unfortunately our weekly storytime at the library is on hiatus during March, so we'll have to find some other special thing to do on Wednesdays for the coming weeks. Tomorrow we'll be going to the zoo, and, I suspect, playing trains.



Every winter I seem to look forward to Spring even more than the last. It becomes this deep-seated longing for better, warmer days spent in the grass. No jackets, no shoes. Every window in the house wide open. Sitting under the sun with a lighthearted book. Or perhaps, a more serious book. But only if the mood is right. Spring can't come soon enough! :]