Ice Box
>> Wednesday, November 17, 2010 –
antiques
But I never did. I knew the rules and I followed them. My parents were experts at instilling a healthy fear of and respect for them and their rules. That, and one sniff of any of these liquors was enough to send me in the other direction. Even as an adult I'm not a big drinker. I'll occasionally have a glass of wine and very occasionally a mixed drink in certain company, but I generally steer clear of alcohol, especially beer (blech).
While I didn't want the contents of that ice box, I have always loved that piece of furniture and wanted my own someday. Well, the same folks who generously gave me a bunch of teacups last month also offered their beautiful oak early 1900s ice box at a very good price (probably half what you would be able to get one for at an antique store or on eBay).
This lovely piece now sits in my dining room and is currently housing most of our board games, which we previously kept in the basement despite the fact that we usually play them on the main floor of the house. This will keep them on hand and at the ready.
Perfect timing as we enter the long, dark nights of winter.






Wow! What a find!
This had me laughing out loud! My parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles - my whole family always kept the alcohol within easy reach of the children. But I, too, had a healthy fear instilled in me and never supplied friends for a party, etc.
I really like your idea of storing games! What a wonderful blessing and what a find!!!
I love the fact that the games are worn, faded, and a few will soon need some tape at the seams. Speaks to their being well used and to your family's love of togetherness and friendship. Excellent.
Ohhhhhh! That is beautiful!!! I would LOVE one of them!!!! I don't even know how available they are in Australia...