Mad for Plaid (and Corduroy)
>> Thursday, November 4, 2010 –
sewing
So Jo-Ann's has a fabric line this fall called British Frenzy (which I find amusing since I don't typically picture the British as frenzied, but I suppose that's how one Americanizes something—just make it more stressful than it needs to be). I liked a number of the fabrics, but chose a lightweight brown and green with a large-scale plaid. It must be that this was the favorite of a number of people, because it is the only bolt from the collection that is completely gone.
I made this sheath dress about a month ago (you saw a glimpse of the fabric in my post about using tailor's tacks to mark fabric).
It is lined in a very lightweight brown lining (the same lightweight lining I used in the blue gingham dress at the end of the summer). But you can't always wear a sleeveless dress on its own in the colder months, so I set about making the jacket from the same pattern (Butterick 5147) to go with it. I chose a very dark chocolate thin-waled corduroy.
Hmmm . . . looking at this picture now it appears one arm may be longer than the other, but I think that is at least partially because I have it on the dress form a bit crooked (let's hope that's it). Anyway, even if it is slightly longer, I'm sure while wearing it that will be unnoticeable. I would never go back and fix something that others wouldn't notice, because I'm just not a perfectionist. But I'm sure this will eat at a few of you all day. :)
Onward. Here is the ensemble with the jacket open. As you can see, this outfit really matches the decor in on my main floor.
I lined the jacket in this snazzy striped lining, which I really think bumps the style factor up a notch.
And I found some very cute buttons (though they were a tiny bit smaller than the 1 1/8 inch size the pattern called for).
I'm nothing but happy about how this outfit turned out and ready to tackle the next project. I can see wearing this little number to Thanksgiving. What do you think?





Oh. MY!!! YOU AMAZE ME!!! GORGEOUS!
Very, very nice! I love it.
Very nice. It's been awhile since I've bought any plaid....might have to remedy that.