One. Freaking. Long. Mile.
Yesterday I accomplished a personal goal for 2010. I ran a mile. Just one mile. It took 12 minutes (going 5mph). And right afterward I felt like my heart had been replaced by a heaving bag of rocks. I felt like death. It took at least 20 minutes to recover from that 12-minute run. But I did it. And now I know it can be done.
The last time I ran a mile was probably in 8th grade when I was forced to by the federal government. I did it in 8:31. I think my goal for 2011 will be to be able to run a mile and not feel like I am teetering on the edge of a heart attack. If I slowly add laps, I bet by summer I'll be able to do 2 miles. Maybe by the end of the year I could even do a 5K. Stranger things have happened.
On a totally unrelated note, check out my latest post for Potter Park Zoo. You can't beat Christmas lights, owls, and . . . regurgitation.
YOU ROCK. ROCK ON!!!
That is awesome. I hope to pick up running in the New Year (my last mile was also in 8th grade -- the ONLY time I have ever ran a mile). I finally reached a point where I can no longer deny that exercise is a must to feel good and be healthy.