In Order of Importance
I think I have finally come to understand that having a small child means that everything you try to do gets broken up unto many smaller parts due to "interruption" by said child. What I mean to say is, I have been experiencing this and noticing it for nearly three years now, but I have only recently accepted that this is not a problem.These days are gone. And while the last couple years I longed for uninterrupted time to get things done, especially outdoors, this year I have finally accepted that these tasks must be done a half-hour here, an hour there, stretched across perhaps two months rather than done in two days. And here's the crazy part: I have found that finally I really don't mind it this way.
On five or six different occasions for the last six weeks I have worked on the gardens and garage, cleaning up the detritus of winter. A bit here, a bit there. And I'm okay with that. It doesn't bother me when my son wakes up from his nap and my productive time is over. In fact, it usually seems like a fine time for a break with a boy who makes me laugh.
Rather than thinking of my son as interrupting my "real" life of work, keeping house, and hobbies, I've finally settled in to the right frame of mind, the one I should have had all along, that my son is life. He is not an add-on to my life but a central part of it. He's more important than the bulbs that are coming up. He's more important than the dress I'm sewing or the bedspread I'm quilting. He's more important than that sentence I was in the middle of writing. He's more important than my filthy garage. He's more important than the book I was reading.
Everything I do with my time can be taken up again if I get interrupted. I can pick up the needle, turn to the paragraph I was reading, start typing again. But my son and his relationship with me are always in the process of being formed. He needs my positive attention. Not to say that there are not times when he needs to learn patience and wait for me to finish something.
Of course learning that you are indeed not the center of the world is something all children (and many adults, I dare say) need to learn. But most of the time I need to be available to him. He is learning how to treat people by watching how people treat him. If I'm obviously put out that I have to stop my own activities in order to attend to his needs, won't he grow into a selfish adult who puts himself before others? Is this what I what for him? Of course not. I want him to value other people and to treat them well. I want him to have concern for others and to serve others. I can model that behavior for him in the way I act toward him and my husband, first and foremost, and then how I act toward others.By my actions, I need to show him that people are more important than things. They are more important than lush lawns, pristine flowerbeds, clean cars, a dust-free home, or a perfectly-cooked meal. They are more important than a favorite TV show, a great play during a football game, a song on the radio, or all the other silly things we hush our kids in order to watch or hear.
I want my son to know that he is loved and that I like spending time with him. Because I really, really do.

I love this article! I tend to feel the same way you always did about being interrupted when I'm mid-task. But I hope that someday if God blesses me with children, I'll handle that privilege the same way you're learning to. Reminds me of a quote from Steven King's "On Writing" where he talks about the big desk he'd always dreamed of having to write at, which eventually got pushed to a corner of the room instead of the center of it and then gave way to something much smaller because he gradually came to realize that life was what enabled him to write.
Deonne
I know how you feel. I was nearly 35 when I had my daughter. She's now 1 and I have to say it is quite a change trying to fit my life around the needs of my daughter, when I am used to having all the time in the world to read a book, do my housework, do the gardening, etc. I am the sort who dislikes being interrupted in the middle of something and I'd be a liar if it didn't make me feel frazzled at times. These days I do my housework and gardening in little bits here and there. I read a book a few pages at a time, rather than chapters at a time. However the older my girl gets, the more easily I can intergrate her into activities.
I am certainly looking forward to when my daughter is old enough to do things with me like dig in the garden or help me with cooking.
But in saying that I feel bad for looking to the future when they are little for such a short time. One day soon I know I'll miss chasing my little crawler up and down the hall while she squeals with delight.
little bits here and there has been my life for over 16 years now, and I love it. I have 4 boys. I also feel that my children are apart of our home a it feels nice when we can work together to make it a place we all want to be, if I am gardening my toddler can enjoy the space at the same time. I also believe and know that I do like to have some time to take part in the activities I like, this is not at a detriment to my family but an enhancement. I fully aprieciate it can be a hard juggling act and as a family we have to continually reasses what works for us.
You maybe interested in a magazine called Juno at's a natural approach to parenting (I'm not sure, maybe a little alturnative, I don't really know you) I have written a review on it on my blog charlottesewfarsewgood.blogspot.com
Love what you share here! I struggle to keep that perspective. I'll have it down great for a bit and then it's out the window. I'm so thankful that God is faithful!
You have always been mindful of other and have had your priorities right. We are all blessed because of that. Mom