When You Really Want to Say "Spring"
>> Wednesday, April 13, 2011 –
sewing
I've never in my life made, owned, or worn anything that said "spring" louder than this little number. I made the shirt back in early February when we Midwesterners start to feel a little desperate about winter. I said back then that I wanted to make a flowy skirt to go with it. Lo and behold, waiting for me at Jo-Ann's was a lightweight, almost filmy cotton in a print I would never have gone for if it hadn't seemed like it would match that shirt. I took a gamble that the lightest shade of green in it would work and saw when I got home with it that they are pretty nearly exact.
The skirt is the shorter version of McCall's 5056, which I got for $0.99 on sale. It came together very quickly and, if not for the crazy long hem done by hand, it would have been done in a matter of a few hours. I know I'll be making this skirt again soon. I've already designated some great fabric for it that will really represent branching out for this fairly conservative seamstress.


Flowy florals and leafy greens are perfect for Spring! I like the lines: cross over bodice, godets in the skirt - tailored yet soft and looks very feminine : )
Gorgeous!