Yes, We Have No Tomatoes Today (At Least Not the Kind You Want)
>> Saturday, June 4, 2011 –
garden
Days like today make me so thankful for air conditioning! It's a sultry 90 degrees with little breeze; the perfect day for potting up a miniature succulent garden. I love that it won't matter if I forget to water these for quite a while (which I will).
These little babies were a buck a piece at the Michigan State University plant sale and were just about the only thing that redeemed that trip from being a total failure this year. The MSU sale is usually chock full of interesting and experimental varieties of plants, from annuals and perennials to trees, vegetables, and shrubs. This year it looked like they were missing at least 1/3rd of their inventory, and the most interesting part at that. I couldn't find the one tomato plant I've been looking for (Caspian Pink, read about my love of this tomato here and here) and have been told that no one could get the seeds in this year. My mother-in-law couldn't find anything there from her list either. It was a bit of bummer except for the succulents, which were a nice addition this year.
So, since that sale was kind of a downer, we went to Van Atta's and found some little treasures. Some interesting yarrow, creeping sedum, and more woolly thyme for me. A yarrow, toadflax, and lavender for her. Then we headed home to get into the air conditioning and grill chicken and veggies for lunch. Poor Zach is off officiating an outdoor wedding today in a suit. I hope he doesn't melt.

