My New Love for an Old City
It's been a week since I last posted. There's a decent reason for my silence. I've been out of town for the better part of that week, spending some time in Grand Rapids with in-laws and some in Boston, a work-pleasure hybrid trip that was simply too short. Having never been to Boston, there is still so much I want to do and see. But we managed a lovely dinner with friends, the Freedom Trail, the USS Constitution, the skywalk at the Prudential, and a Duck Tour with the best tour guide on the planet, the Superfan. My husband had more time to explore than I did since I was working during two of the days at a sort of private copywriting seminar, and he logged many miles sightseeing.
At home we've been watering the garden, weeding, and doing some laundry as I consider a busy weekend ahead. Work catch-up, church stuff, taking my Chin friends to the zoo, having people over for lunch, more yard work, etc. Summer rolls on in a flurry of activity and I wonder, not for the first time, how it is that what should be a lazy season gets filled with commitments.
I can hardly type because Lydia the cat is very loving after we return from a trip and has taken up residence directly in my face and will not be put off. The dog will be home soon and will undoubtedly be just as needy. And the heaviness of responsibility after three days of escape crowds in.
But life is not vacation. So I change the sheets, I drag the suitcase, I think about what to write for my trip report, I consider how this excursion can change my work life. And I think about the things I'd like to do next time we go to Boston. Which will be very soon, I think.
What a town.